June 20th marks the first official day of summer. Perhaps in the recent past weeks you have noticed your body reacting differently to the heat and humidity during your activities. Here are some tips to beat the heat and still keep up with your fitness:
- Cool down (seems obvious): Put ice cubes down your sports bra/shirt or even holding ice cubes in your hands and/or rubbing it along the inside of your wrist/forearm will cool you down if you have to be outside in the heat of the day.
- Find some shade: try changing your exercise route to a shaded/wooded area if possible.
- Avoid caffeine and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and replace your electrolytes and salt lost thru perspiration while exercising.
- Change the time of day that you exercise and if possible try to avoid the heat of the day between 10am-3pm.
- Wear light colored clothing to reflect the heat and look for a technical fabric that will keep you cool.
- Hit the gym and beat the heat.
- Wear sunscreen to protect your skin.
- Most importantly, listen to your body and stop immediately if you’re feeling dizzy, faint or nauseous.
Enjoy your summer!