Here are some fun research facts from the recent, April 2015, PT in Motion magazine. The first and last ones cause me the most concern.
- 21.5%: Adults in the US who, in 2014, met 2008 federal physical activity guidelines. Highest group was males 18-24 years old at 37.5%
- 101,577: Average skateboarding injuries per year, under 20 years old, that resulted in ER visit
- 409: Calories burned per hour cleaning gutters by 180# person
- 39%: Patient cancellation and no-show rate when medical appointments are scheduled more than 20 days in advance
- 56%: US consumers who believe wearable devices that monitor their vital signs will increase average life span by 10 years
PT in Motion. “By the Numbers”, April 2015. Page 64